At the June 25 meeting of the Community High School District 128 Board of Education, Board Member Mackenzie Thurman tendered his resignation. Mackenzie has been a D128 Board member since 2017, with his current term expiring in 2019. As the Board has done in the past with Board member resignations, the Board will follow the steps outlined in Board Policy, 2:70 Vacancies on Board of Education - Filling Vacancies, to replace Thurman.
On behalf of the D128 Board and staff, Board President Pat Groody and Superintendent Prentiss Lea thank Mackenzie for his dedication and service to D128 and wish him the best as he departs the Board. He will most certainly be missed.
The District will follow the process below for filling the board member vacancy:
1. The required Regional Office of Education Board Vacancy Notification Letter was mailed to ROE Superintendent Roycealee Wood on Wednesday, June 27, 2018.
2. The Board Vacancy Press Release publicizing the vacancy will be sent to media and posted on D128 websites and via social media at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 28, 2018.
3. Interested Board candidates must complete and submit the required application for the vacant seat on the Board of Education by 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 12, 2018. (Note: If you completed an application for the recent Board vacancy and are interested in this opening, please email Associate Superintendent Briant Kelly at Briant.Kelly@d128.org prior to the July 12 deadline to reactivate your application file.)
4. From Board Policy 2:70 - "After reviewing the applications, the Board may invite the prospective candidates for personal interviews to be conducted during duly scheduled closed meetings."
5. The D128 Board will need to appoint a new Board member no later Friday, August 10, 2018 (if the D128 Board fails to do so, the ROE Superintendent has the legal duty to do so). The Board will ensure that the appointment is made prior to the August 10 deadline.