D128 Parents/Guardians and Students:
At the October 5 Special Meeting of the D128 Board of Education, the Board approved changes to our current eSchool model based on survey feedback from students, parents, and staff.
Beginning tomorrow, Wednesday, October 7, Wednesdays will be Teacher-directed Days. The 8-period day remains. Synchronous meetings at the beginning of each period are no longer required. Teacher-directed Days are remote learning days and are defined as follows:
- Teacher-directed Days are held on Wednesdays during weeks with 5 instructional days. All students are in eSchool learning remotely with teacher-assigned instructional activities. Teachers have the discretion to meet synchronously with individual students and/or groups of students.
- Teachers may schedule synchronous meetings if they choose to, or they may provide and communicate asynchronous activities/assignments.
- Students will receive a Google Attendance form by 9:00 a.m each Teacher-directed Wednesday and must complete it for attendance purposes on that day.
In addition, the Board voted 7-0 to approve the hybrid schedule as presented by the administration and voted 4-3 to plan for the implementation of the hybrid plan starting for students on October 29. Families will be offered a choice to continue in eSchool with remote attendance or choosing to attend the in-person hybrid model. A choice survey with a more detailed description of the hybrid model will be sent in a separate email tomorrow. In the meantime, here are the highlighted features of the hybrid model:
- Preserves current eSchool Block Schedule for all learners
- Divides in-person hybrid students into 2 groups (Group A & Group B on the schedule below) with alternating morning and afternoon attendance. Remote learners are connected to teacher and in-person learners with livestream of in-person instruction
- Reduces health risks by eliminating large-group, in-person lunch
- Increases slightly instructional minutes per class per week (Hybrid 205; eSchool 195; regular schedule 225)
- Retains flexible office hours for scheduling student meetings mid-day, before and after school
- Provides all in-person learners with 4 days per week of in-person instruction periods
The approved schedule is as follows:
NOTE: (In) refers to the students in the in-person instruction group and (Remote) refers to the group of students in remote-learning groups. Students choosing to remain in eSchool will participate in remote learning during each period.
The approved hybrid learning model will follow the implementation schedule below:
Oct. 26 -- Optional teacher return to campus - Remote synchronous learning following eSchool Schedule
Oct. 27 -- Teachers return to campuses - Teacher Professional Learning Day - Student asynchronous learning day
Oct. 28 -- Teachers on campuses - Teacher Professional Learning Day - Student asynchronous learning day
Oct. 29 -- Hybrid Schedule begins - Orange Day
Oct. 30 -- Hybrid Schedule continues - Blue Day
Complete details about the schedule and a survey for families to indicate their choice of hybrid or remote for their student(s) will be sent tomorrow.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility as we transition to the hybrid model.
Dr. Prentiss Lea