Individual Athletic Keepsakes
General Award Criteria:
- Award Certificate: At the awards night each student athlete will receive an award certificate stating their accomplishment. This is a high quality document suitable for framing.
- Participation Certificate: A student who doesn’t meet the criteria for an award certificate may receive a participation certificate, which also is a high quality document suitable for framing.
- CSL Sportsmanship Team Selections are selected by each Varsity Head Coach in the CSL for each sport the CSL. One student athlete from each CSL school is selected to the team based on their outstanding sportsmanship displayed throughout the season.
- All-Conference Recognition is determined in CSL team sports in which coaches vote to determine the team as per CSL Guidelines. Recipients receive an All-Conference Certificate. No medallions are awarded to honorees. Recipients are referred to as, “All-Conference Athletes.”
- All-Conference Medalists are determined primarily in individual sports in which medals are presented as per the CSL Guidelines for outstanding achievement typically by their finish at the CSL Conference Meet. No All-Conference Certificates are awarded to the honorees. Recipients are referred to as “All-Conference Medalists.”
- All-Conference Academic Recognition is outlined in the CSL Guidelines. Only seniors earning an award in 2 consecutive years with a 3.0 or better cumulative G.P.A. on a weighted or unweighted (whichever is to the students’ advantage) are eligible for this award. Recipients will receive a certificate at their respective Awards Night. Participants in any sport in which a member school participates are eligible.
- 12 Sport Athlete Recognition is reserved for those graduating seniors who have competed in 12 seasons (Fall, Winter and Spring) over their high school careers. Recipients are honored at the Spring Sports Awards Night and presented with a special plaque. For Poms and Cheer, a student athlete will get credit for fall and winter season competition if the student athlete completes the entire Poms or Cheer season in good standing. Student Athletes considered for this award must compete in all 12 seasons (Fall, Winter and Spring) of their high school careers. Serving as a manager during a season is appreciated, but does not qualify as competing in a season. Injured athletes can qualify for this award as long as they continue to attend practices/contests and help the team as their injury allows.
Cougar Pride Coaches’ Awards
- Athletes are nominated by and voted upon by the head coaches of all sports. The athletes chosen this award, one male and one female, should possess a tremendous team-first attitude. Playing time should not be a major factor – these are the players coaches love to have on their team because they come to practice every day with spirit, enthusiasm, a great work ethic, and a positive attitude. It is recommended that the athletes be involved in multiple sports. In addition to team contributions, the athletes should be good citizens, showing dependability and character in all school environments. The recipient will be announced at the Honors Assembly, his/her name will be added to a perpetual trophy kept at the school, as well as receive a plaque to keep.
Alan R. Janulis - Outstanding Athlete Awards
- The Alan R. Janulis Outstanding Male and Female Athlete Awards are selected by the coaching staff. The winners should possess outstanding athletic ability when compared with other athletes competing during the year. These individuals should have made significant contributions to the VHHS Athletic Program. It is recommended that the recipients have been involved in multiple sports throughout their high school careers. In addition to athletic ability, the athletes selected should demonstrate traits of leadership within the team of participation and be good citizens, showing dependability and exemplary character in all school environments. The recipients will be announced at the Honors Assembly, his/her name will be added to a perpetual trophy kept at the school, as well as receive a plaque to keep.
The Scholar Athlete Awards
- The VHHS Scholar Athlete Awards will be given annually to the graduating male and female athletes who have maintained the highest level of excellence in the classroom while participating in the athletic program. The graduating senior male and female athletes who have achieved the highest grade point averages over seven semesters while participating in a minimum of two sport seasons over the past two years will be honored with these awards. The recipients will be announced at the Honors Assembly, his/her name will be added to a perpetual trophy kept at the school, as well as receive a plaque to keep.
Cougar Wall of Fame
- Athletes who are awarded an IHSA State Final medal or who are chosen by a recognized official agency (coaches’ association, publication, etc.) as an All-State or All-American athlete during their high school career are eligible for this award. Starting with the 2010-11 school year, only IHSA All State Academic Team members will be added to the Wall of Fame. We no longer recognize sport specific academic All State team selections on the Wall of Fame. The recognition ceremony takes place following the athlete’s senior year at a date determined by the coaches and parents.