Financial Aid


Beginning with the 2021-22 school year, in addition to all other graduation requirements, VHHS seniors must complete one of the following requirements to receive a public school diploma:

The Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid allows undocumented students and transgender students to qualify for Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) grants to attend eligible in-state colleges and universities, and career education programs.

VHHS families who do not plan to complete the FAFSA need to click here to complete the FAFSA Nonparticipation Form online.

We encourage all families to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible for best consideration for financial aid.

Illinois’s new mandate has a positive intent. Filing a FAFSA strengthens college access for ALL students in our state. Many of our families assume they will not qualify for need-based financial aid from colleges, but filing the FAFSA has many benefits. Students may qualify for:

  • Need-based grants, like the Pell grant or MAP grant
  • Federal student loans (which have lower interest rates than private loans)
  • “Work-study” jobs on campus
  • Some merit-based scholarships

Many families have found this step-by-step guide to completing the FAFSA extremely helpful.

Next Steps:

  • If you have already completed the FAFSA, you have met your graduation requirement--congratulations!
  • If you plan to complete the FAFSA, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible.
  • If you do NOT plan to complete the FAFSA, complete the FAFSA Nonparticipation Form as soon as possible.