Health Services Philosophy
Professional school nursing at Libertyville High School provides a comprehensive, multidisciplinary, and collaborative approach to promoting wellness within the school community, with the primary goal of maintaining optimal student health, attendance and learning ability.
As professional school nurses, we believe in:
- Ensuring all students have access to medical care and treatment.
- Supporting students to become independent advocates for their own health care.
- Coordinating nursing care for students with family, school staff, and outside agencies.
- Providing health counseling and education for individual and group/classroom settings.
- Maintaining state-mandated school health records on every student in the district.
- Being a member of each Learning Support Team and the SAP Team.
- Advocating for student health needs within the school environment.
- Supporting teachers by interpreting the impact of a student's health condition on learning.
- Delivering public health nursing services through maintenance of immunization records, communicable disease prevention and monitoring.
- Providing collaborative assessments of mental health needs.
- Collaborating with health resources in the community for referrals and public health issues.
- Collaborating with special services to provide nursing services and support.
- Promoting staff wellness through health education, counseling, and wellness activities.
- Collaborating with administration and Building and Grounds personnel to maintain a safe and healthy school environment.
- Utilizing appropriate and current technology to enhance school health services.
- Enhancing professional development through professional school nurse organizations and continuing education opportunities.